Corn is used as human food, as a biofuel, and as a raw material in various industries. Corn is also high in dietary fiber and rich in antioxidants. Many parts of the corn plant are used in different industries. However, several types of corn are grown mainly for their industrial uses and applications. Here are 12 fun facts about corn that you need to know.
1. The US Is The Largest Producer And Exporter Of Corn
The United States is by far the largest producer and exporter of corn in the world. China, Brazil, Argentina, Ukraine, and India are the leading producer of corn after the U.S.
2. Corn Was First Domesticated In Southern Mexico
Corn was first domesticated by native peoples in southern Mexico approximately between 10,000 to 6,000 years ago.
3. Iowa Is Known As “The Corn State”
Iowa is the largest producer of corn in the United States which is followed by Illinois & Nebraska. Iowa is also known as “The Corn State”.
4. “Corn” Was Used To Describe Any Type Of “Grain”
Originally, the English word “corn” was used to mean a single seed of grain or any rounded grain. In British English, the word “corn” was actually used to describe any type of “grain”.
READ ALSO: 12 Fun Facts About Cumin
5. Corn Is Grown Everywhere
Currently, corn is grown on every continent except Antarctica.
6. Corn’s Wild Ancestor Is A Mexican Plant
From the study of genetics, scientists have found that corn’s wild ancestor is a Mexican grass or Mexican plant called teosinte.
7. Highest Corn Acreage Ever Recorded Is 111 Million Acres
One of the most interesting fun facts about corn is that the highest acreage ever devoted to growing corn in the United States was 111 million acres in 1917, which means 111 million acres of corn were planted in the U.S. It is the highest corn acreage ever recorded in the United States.
8. A Lot Of Water Is Required To Produce Corn
In the United States, it takes approximately 91 gallons of water to produce one pound of corn.
READ ALSO: 25 Fun Facts About Water
9. Corn Is One Of The Largest Plant-based Food Sources
Corn is one of the most productive and dominant crops in the world. Corn is also the third largest plant-based food source in our world.
10. 70% Of Popcorn Is Consumed At Home
Approximately, 70% of popcorn sold in America is consumed at home and the remaining 30% is consumed outside the home such as in theatres, stadiums, and schools.
11. There Are 3500 Different Uses For Corn Products
There are more than 3500 different uses for corn products. Corn is also processed and used as a major component in many food items like peanut butter, potato chips, soups, ice cream, baby food, cooking oil, and chewing gum.
READ ALSO: 15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Cheese
12. Corn Is Good For The Environment
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), one acre of corn removes or eliminates about 8 tons of carbon dioxide from the air during the growing season and that means corn is very good for the environment.
READ ALSO: 10 Fun Facts About Carbon
These are 12 fun and interesting facts about corn that you should know.
FAQ: 12 Fun Facts About Corn
If you also have questions about corn like many other people, then here you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions related to corn.
Q1. Which Country Is The Largest Producer Of Corn In The World?
Ans: The United States is the largest producer of corn in the world, followed by China, Brazil, Argentina, Ukraine, and India.
Q2. Does Corn Remove Carbon From The Atmosphere?
Ans: According to the USDA, one acre of corn generally removes about 8 tons of carbon dioxide from the air during the growing season.
Q3. Who Is The Largest Producer Of Corn In The United States?
Ans: Iowa is the largest producer of corn in the United States and it is also known as “The Corn State”.
Q4. What Percentage Of Consumed Popcorn Is Eaten At Home?
Ans: In the United States, almost 70% of consumed popcorn is eaten at home and the remaining 30% is consumed in theatres, stadiums, and schools.
READ ALSO: 12 Fun Facts About Roses
- 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Oranges You Must Know - September 14, 2022
- 10 Interesting Facts About Aluminum That You Might Not Know - August 24, 2022
- 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile - August 14, 2022