Natural gas is mostly used for heating, cooking, and electricity generation. It was mainly obtained as a by-product of producing oil in the 19th century. Here are 20 fun and interesting facts about natural gas.
1. Natural Gas Was Formed 100 Million Years Ago
More than 100 million years ago, natural gas was formed under the earth from the plants, animals, and microorganisms that died 200-400 million years ago.
2. Natural Gas Seeps Were First Discovered In Iran
Between 6000 and 2000 BCE, the first discoveries of natural gas seeps were made in Iran.
3. Chinese First Used Natural Gas Around 500-600 B.C.
Around 500-600 B.C., the Chinese first used natural gas. They started using bamboo pipelines to transport natural gas into their homes for burning it to boil sea water in order to make it drinkable.
Read Also: 25 Fun Facts About Water
4. Natural Gas Was Discovered And Identified In America In 1626
In America, natural gas was discovered and identified and its usage was recognized as early as 1626 when French explorers found that Native Americans were igniting gases that were seeping from Lake Erie.
5. Natural Gas Is Delivered To 175 Million Consumers In the US
One of the cool facts about natural gas is that natural gas is delivered to approximately 175 million consumers in the United States through a 1.3-million-mile network of underground gas pipes across the country.
Read Also: 12 Facts About Gas That You Need To Know
6. First Successful Natural Gas Well In the US Was Built In 1821
The first successful natural gas well in the United States was built by William Hart in Fredonia, New York in 1821.
7. Natural Gas Is Mainly Formed Of Methane
Natural gas is formed primarily of methane. However, it can also include other components such as hydrogen sulfide, ethane, butane, pentane, and propane.
8. Natural Gas Is The Cleanest Burning Fossil Fuel
Natural gas is the cleanest burning and fastest growing fossil fuel as it emits the least amount of carbon dioxide into the air when combusted.
Read Also: 10 Fun Facts About Carbon
9. William Hart Is The “Father Of Natural Gas”
William Hart is considered as the “father of natural gas” in the U.S. and he founded the Fredonia Gas Light Company in 1858. It was the first natural gas company in the United States.
10. Natural Gas Is Lighter Than Air
Natural gas is always lighter than air, as it is primarily composed of methane, which is less dense than carbon dioxide. Thus, it rapidly dissipates into the air when it is released.
11. Britain Was The First Country To Commercialize Natural Gas
The first country to commercialize natural gas was Britain. Natural gas was used to light street lamps in the late 1700s.
12. Natural Gas Has Excellent “Total Energy Efficiency”
Natural gas is an extremely efficient form of energy. It is delivered to the consumer with a “total energy efficiency” of about 90 percent.
13. 24 Percent Of The Total Natural Gas Is Produced In The US
Almost 24 percent of the total natural gas production in the world is produced only in the United States.
14. Natural Gas Was First Used In Street Lamps In 1816
In the United States, natural gas was first used to light street lamps in Baltimore, Maryland in 1816.
15. 55 Percent Of All Homes Use Natural Gas
One of the most important facts about natural gas is that approximately 55 percent of all homes in the United States use natural gas for home heating and water heating.
16. Natural Gas Is Less Expensive Than Electricity
Natural gas is significantly less expensive than electricity as an energy source because it is more efficient and easier to source.
17. 34 Percent Of Energy Consumption Comes From Natural Gas
Almost 34 percent of total energy consumption in the United States comes from natural gas.
18. 11 Million Road Vehicles Use Natural Gas
More than 11 million road vehicles in our world use natural gas as a fuel.
19. Natural Gas Releases Less Carbon Dioxide
Read Also: 14 Interesting Facts About Coal
20. A Family Can Save 900 US Dollar By Using Natural Gas
These are 20 cool fun facts about natural gas that everyone needs to know.
FAQ: 20 Fun And Interesting Facts About Natural Gas
Here I have given brief answers to some of the most relevant questions about natural gas.
Q1. Is Natural Gas Formed From Prehistoric Life?
Ans: Over 100 million years ago, natural gas was formed under the earth from the prehistoric plants, animals, and microorganisms that died approximately 200-400 million years ago.
Q2. Is Natural Gas Made Mostly Of Methane?
Ans: Natural gas is formed mostly of methane and it can include other components such as hydrogen sulfide, ethane, butane, pentane, and propane.
Q3. Is Natural Gas The Cleanest Fossil Fuel?
Ans: Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel because it emits the least amount of carbon dioxide into the air when combusted. Natural gas is also the fastest-growing fossil fuel.
Q4. Is Natural Gas Lighter Than CO2?
Ans: Natural gas is primarily composed of methane, which is less dense than CO2. It means that natural gas is always lighter than air. Because of that, it rapidly dissipates into the air when it is released.
Read Also: 10 Interesting Facts About Nitrogen
- 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Oranges You Must Know - September 14, 2022
- 10 Interesting Facts About Aluminum That You Might Not Know - August 24, 2022
- 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile - August 14, 2022