The size of the nervous system ranges from a few hundred cells in some of the worms, to almost 300 billion cells in African elephants. Nervous tissue first appeared in wormlike organisms approximately 550 to 600 million years ago. Here are 12 interesting facts about the nervous system that everyone should know.
1. Right Side Of Our Brain Controls The Left Side Of The Body
The right side of our brain or the right cerebral hemisphere controls the muscles on the left side of our body and the left side of our brain or the left cerebral hemisphere controls the muscles on the right side of our body.
2. Nerve Impulses Can Be Transmitted At 100 Meters Per Second
The nervous system can transmit nerve impulses at a speed of almost 100 meters per second. However, in some cases, the speed of transmission can be 180 miles per hour.
3. Brain Uses More Energy Than Any Other Organ
The brain uses more energy than any other organ in the human body. Our brain also consumes 20 percent of the body’s oxygen supply.
READ ALSO: 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile
4. Brain Loses Almost One Gram Every Year After 20
As we get older, our brain loses almost one gram every year after the age of 20.
5. Structure Of Our Brain Changes When We Learn Something New
One of the most interesting facts about the nervous system is that the physical structure of our brain changes when we learn something new or a new fact. When we are learning, the neurons in our brains form new connections.
6. Bacteria Can Infect Our Brain
The nervous system can also become infected just like the other organs of our body. Bacteria can infect our brain and can cause encephalitis, which is inflammation of the active tissues of the brain.
READ ALSO: 12 Interesting Facts About Color Blindness
7. Our Brain Has 100 Billion Neurons
The total surface area of the human brain is approximately 25,000 cm2. Only our brain has 100 billion neurons.
8. Babies Can Make Almost All Of The Sounds In Every Language
Babies are capable of making almost all of the sounds in every known language of the world. However, when a baby grows and develops or learns a language, it loses this ability.
9. Nerve Impulses Are Tiny Electrical Signals
Nerve impulses are actually tiny electrical signals. When a nerve is stimulated, it produces a small amount of electrical charge which passes along the length of the cell in our body.
10. Men Have 6.5 Times More Grey Matter
Generally, men have approximately 6.5 times more grey matter related to general intelligence than women, and women have nearly 10 times more white matter than men.
11. Using Our Non-dominant Hand More Often Can Boost Our Brain Power
Using a toothbrush with your left hand or non-dominant hand can increase your brain power. Scientists have found that if we use our non-dominant hand more often in everyday life, it will boost our brain power.
READ ALSO: 12 Amazing Facts About Your Hands That Will Blow Your Mind
12. Nerve Impulses Are Transferred By Chemicals
Nerve impulses are transferred from one neuron to the next neuron by chemicals, which are called neurotransmitters.
These are 12 interesting facts about the nervous system.
FAQ: 12 Interesting Facts About The Nervous System
As many people don’t know everything about the nervous system, they have different questions about it. Here I have answered some of the most popular questions about our nervous system.
Q1. What Happens To The Brain When You Learn Something New?
Ans: When we learn something new, the physical structure of our brain changes. The neurons in our brain form new connections, when we are learning.
Q2. What Percentage Of Body Oxygen Is Consumed By The Brain?
Ans: The brain consumes 20 percent of the body’s oxygen supply.
Q3. Which Organ Uses The Most Energy?
Q4. How Many Neurons Are In The Human Brain?
READ ALSO: 10 Facts About Swimming That You Need To Know
- 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Oranges You Must Know - September 14, 2022
- 10 Interesting Facts About Aluminum That You Might Not Know - August 24, 2022
- 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile - August 14, 2022