Almost 70.9% of the surface of the Earth is covered by water. In the world economy, water plays a very important role. Approximately 70% of the total freshwater consumed by humans is used in agriculture. Here are 25 interesting and fun facts about water.
1. Our Body Is Made Of A Lot Of Water
On average, our human body is made of approximately 50 to 65 percent water, whereas newly born babies have almost 78 percent water in their bodies.
2. There Is More Water In The Atmosphere Than All The Rivers
There is more water present in the atmosphere of our Earth than in all the rivers combined.
3. Most Of The Water Is Unusable
Most of the water found on the surface of our Earth is either permanently frozen or salty, which is unusable.
4. Water Is Everywhere
A jellyfish and a cucumber are composed of almost 95% water.
Read Also: 10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Fish
5. We Need Water To Survive
A person can survive about a month without food. However, we can survive only about a week without water.
6. The Amount Of Freshwater Available Is A Lot Less
Only 2.5% of all the water available on our earth is freshwater. Freshwater means groundwater or water which is readily accessible in lakes, streams, and rivers.
7. 400 Billion Gallons Of Water Are Used Every Day
On average, 400 billion gallons of water are used every day in the United States.
8. Most Of The Illness Are Water-Related
80% of all the illness found in developing countries is water-related.
9. Very Few People Has Access To Clean Water
In some developing countries, less than half of the total population has access to clean water or improved source of drinking water.
10. Water Used In Steel Industry
To manufacture 1 ton of steel, almost 300 tons of water is required.
11. A Person Uses A Lot Of Water Every Day
On average, a person in the United States uses approximately 80-100 gallons of water every day, which is enough to fill more than two bathtubs.
12. Many People Die From Diseases Related To Unsafe Water
Every hour, almost 200 people die from diseases related to unsafe water.
13. A Lot Of Water Is Used To Make A Sheet Of Paper And A Pair Of Jeans
2.6 gallons of water is used to make a sheet of paper and almost 2,641 gallons of water is used to make a pair of jeans.
14. Not Many People Have Access To Purified Source Of Drinking Water
Approximately, 748 million people in our world do not have access to any improved or purified source of drinking water – it is one of the unknown facts about drinking water.
15. Women Walk Several Miles Per Day To Collect Water
On average, in developing countries, women walk 3.7 miles every day to collect water for daily use.
16. Only Substance To Be Found Naturally In All Three Forms
Water is the only substance on our planet that is found naturally in all three forms – liquid, gas, and solid.
Read Also: 12 Facts About Gas That You Need To Know
17. Half Of The Water Is Used For Power Generation
Almost half of the water, consumed by the United States, is used for thermoelectric power generation.
Read Also: 10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Solar Energy
18. Water Used To Produce Rice
Approximately, 924 gallons of water is used to produce 2.2 pounds of rice.
Read Also: 12 Tasty Facts About Corn That You Need To Know
19. Women Spend A Lot Of Time Every Day To Collect Water
In the whole world, on average, women spend approximately 200 million hours every day collecting water for their families.
20. All The Water Came From Comets And Asteroids
All the water available on our Earth today, came from comets and asteroids almost 4 billion years ago.
21. Half Of The Water Is Wasted Through Leakages
In developing countries, almost 50% of the water is wasted through leakage in pipes.
22. Same Amount Of Water As A Few Billion Years Ago
Now, we have the same amount of water on Earth as there was when Earth was formed a few billion years ago.
23. Economic Loss Due To Poor Water And Sanitation
Every year, in the countries of the developing world, the estimated economic loss due to poor water and sanitation is almost 260 billion dollars.
24. All Fresh Water Is Trapped In Glaciers
One of the most amazing fun facts about water is that almost 68 percent of all the fresh water available on our Earth is trapped in glaciers.
25. Water Is Used Everywhere
1,000 gallons of water is used to produce a single gallon of milk and to produce one hamburger, 634 gallons of water is used.
Read Also: 15 Fun Facts About Pizza That You Need To Know
These are the 25 Fun Facts about water.
FAQ: 25 Interesting And Fun Facts About Water
Many people have many different questions about water. Here I have picked a few different types of questions and answered them briefly.
Q1.Where Did All The Water On Earth Come From?
Ans: All the water on Earth came from comets and asteroids approximately 4 billion years ago.
Q2. How Much Water Does A Person Use In A Day?
Ans: On average, each person in the US uses around 80-100 gallons of water every day and this water is enough to fill more than two bathtubs.
Q3. What Percentage Of Illnesses Are Related To Water?
Ans: 80% of all illnesses found in developing countries around the world are related to water.
Q4. How Many People Have No Access To Drinkable Water?
Ans: Almost 748 million people around the world do not have access to any purified source of drinking water.
Q5. What Percentage Of Water Available On Earth Is Freshwater?
Ans: Only 2.5% of the water available on our planet earth is freshwater, where freshwater means the water that is readily accessible in lakes, streams, and rivers.
Read Also: 12 Tasty Facts About Milk That You May Not Know
- 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Oranges You Must Know - September 14, 2022
- 10 Interesting Facts About Aluminum That You Might Not Know - August 24, 2022
- 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile - August 14, 2022