Zinc is a chemical element with the atomic number 30 and the chemical symbol Zn. Although it was known to the ancient Greeks and Romans, zinc metal was not produced on a large scale until the 12th century in India. About 70% of the zinc in the world comes from mining, and the remaining 30% comes from recycled materials. Here are 12 fun and interesting facts about zinc that you didn’t know.
1. Zinc Is One Of The Most Abundant Metals In Our Body
Zinc is the second-most abundant metal in the human body after iron. It is an essential mineral for our health. Zinc is important for immune function, white blood cell formation, and cell division.
2. Zinc Is 100% Recyclable
Zinc is easily recycled and it is 100% recyclable. Almost 30% of the zinc produced annually is actually recycled metal.
3. Zinc Is The 24th Most Abundant Element On Earth
Zinc is the 24th most abundant element found in the Earth‘s crust, accounting for almost 0.02% of the Earth’s crust by weight.
4. Zinc Is Mainly Produced From Zinc Sulfide Ore
In the earth’s crust, zinc is found mainly as zinc sulfide (ZnS). More than 95% of the mined zinc in the world is produced from zinc sulfide (ZnS) ore.
5. Zinc Is One Of The Most Widely Used Metals In Industries
Currently, zinc is the fourth-most widely used metal in the world or the fourth-most common metal in industries after iron, aluminum, and copper. It is generally used in various industries. Zinc and its compounds are found in batteries, sunscreen, paints, and other different types of products.
READ ALSO: 10 Fun Facts About Aluminum
6. A Lot Of Zinc Is Produced From Recycled Materials
In North America, almost one-third of the zinc consumed is produced from recycled materials.
7. Zinc Can Store More Energy Than Other Battery Systems
Zinc can store six times more energy per pound than other conventional battery systems, and because of that zinc is used to increase the range of electric vehicles. It can also be found in various car parts, such as automobile tires and door handles.
READ ALSO: 10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Solar Energy
8. Zinc Deficiency Affects A Huge Number Of People Around The World
Zinc deficiency affects around two billion people in developing countries around the world and it is associated with various diseases.
9. Largest Producers Of Zinc
The largest or major producers of zinc in the world are China, Peru, Australia, India, and the United States.
10. Most Of The Zinc Is Used For Galvanizing
About 55% of the zinc consumed in the United States is used for galvanizing iron and steel.
11. Zinc Compounds Are Used In Different Commercial Products
Zinc compounds such as zinc oxide are used in various types of commercial products –plastics, rubber products, cosmetics, inks, textiles, and pharmaceuticals. These can also be found in skincare products.
READ ALSO: 10 Interesting Facts About Cotton
12. US Penny Coins Are Composed Of Zinc
The United States penny coins are constructed with a zinc core which comprises of almost 98% of their weight and the remaining 2% is an electrolytically plated copper coating.
READ ALSO: 12 Fun Facts About Copper
These are 12 interesting facts about zinc that you need to know.
FAQ: 12 Fun And Interesting Facts About Zinc
As zinc is one of the most widely used metals in the world, people have many questions related to zinc. Here I have given brief answers to the most commonly asked questions about zinc.
Q1. What Is Zinc Good For?
Ans: Zinc is an essential mineral for our health and is important for immune function, white blood cell formation, and cell division.
Q2. Is Zinc Easy To Recycle?
Ans: Zinc is easily recycled and it is actually 100% recyclable. Approximately 30% of the zinc produced annually is actually recycled metal.
Q3. What Are The 3 Uses Of Zinc?
Ans: Zinc and its different compounds are found in batteries, sunscreen, and paints.
Q4. Where Is Zinc Produced In The World?
Ans: The largest or major producers of zinc around the world are China, Peru, Australia, India, and the United States.
READ ALSO: 14 Fun Facts About Silver
- 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Oranges You Must Know - September 14, 2022
- 10 Interesting Facts About Aluminum That You Might Not Know - August 24, 2022
- 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile - August 14, 2022