Almost 40 percent of Panama’s land area is covered by jungles. And these jungles are home to many tropical plants and animals. Some of those species are so unique that they are found nowhere else on our planet. Here are 15 fun and interesting facts about Panama.
1. Sunrise On The Pacific Ocean And Sunset On The Atlantic Ocean
Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sunrise on the Pacific Ocean and the sunset on the Atlantic Ocean from the same position.
2. Most People Live In The Panama City
Panama has a population of approximately 3.6 million people. Almost 1.5 million people live only in Panama City, which is the capital and largest city of Panama.
3. Atlantic Ocean And Pacific Ocean Are Separated By 80 Kilometers
At the narrowest point of Panama, the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean are separated by only 80 kilometers.
4. The First Country In Latin America To Accept The United States Dollar
Panama was the first country in Latin America to accept the United States dollar or the U.S. currency as its own official currency.
Read Also: 20 Interesting Facts About Fiji
5. Panama Canal Is One Of The Seven Wonders
The Panama Canal is known as one of the seven wonders of the modern world. This massive canal connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean. It stretches 80 kilometers from Panama City on the Pacific side to Colon on the Atlantic side.
6. Panama City Is The Only Capital City With A Rainforest
The second largest rainforest in the Western Hemisphere is located in Panama. It is actually located in Panama City, which is the only capital city in the world with a rainforest within its borders.
7. “Panama Hat” Is Made In Ecuador
The famous “Panama Hat” is actually made in Ecuador. These hats became popular as “Panama hats” during the 19th century due to their huge export from Ecuador to Panama.
8. You Can Swim In The Atlantic Ocean And The Pacific Ocean In The Same Day
One of the amazing fun facts about Panama is that you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean on the same day in Panama.
9. The Panama Railroad Was The Most Expensive Railroad
The Panama Railroad was the most expensive railroad ever built. It cost approximately 8 million dollars to build. The construction work took almost 5 years to complete. More than 12000 people died in the construction work of this railroad.
10. Panama Canal Is The Most Difficult, Complex, And Largest Project
Panama Canal is known as the most difficult, complex, and largest project ever undertaken. It is famous because of its complex engineering structure.
11. Panama Has A Lot Of Birds
Panama has more species of birds than the United States and Canada combined.
12. Spanish Is The Official Language
Spanish is the official language of Panama. It is also the most widely spoken language in Panama. However, many people in this country also speak English.
13. Panama Has Two Independence Days
One of the most interesting facts about Panama is that Panama has actually two independence days – one on 28th November, the anniversary of independence from Spain in 1821, and the second one on 3rd November, the anniversary of freedom from Colombia in 1903.
Read Also: 10 Fun Facts About Boston
14. Panama Canal Provides Passage For 14,000 Ocean-going Vessels
Panama Canal provides passage for approximately 14,000 ocean-going vessels every year – it is one of the most interesting facts about the Panama Canal.
15. Panama Has The Most Diversified Wildlife
Panama has the most diversified wildlife in Central America. It has both North American and South American wildlife species.
Read Also: 10 Interesting Facts About Turtles
These are 15 interesting facts about Panama.
FAQ: 15 Interesting and Fun Facts About Panama
As many people are interested to know about Panama, they have many different questions in their minds. Here I have answered some of the most frequently asked questions about Panama.
Q1. What Is The Official Language In Panama?
Ans: Spanish is the official language in Panama. However, a lot of people in Panama also speak English.
Q2. Where Is The Famous Panama Hat Made?
Ans: The famous “Panama Hat” is made in Ecuador. During the 19th century, these hats became popular as “Panama hats”, because of their huge export from Ecuador to Panama.
Q3. Does Panama Have Rainforests?
Ans: Panama has the second-largest rainforest in the Western Hemisphere. Panama City is the only capital city in the world with a rainforest within its borders.
Q4. Is The Panama Canal A 7 Wonder Of The World?
Ans: The Panama Canal is known as one of the seven wonders of the modern world and this massive canal connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean.
Q5. What Percent Of Panama Is Jungle?
Read Also: 12 Interesting Facts About Wales
- 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Oranges You Must Know - September 14, 2022
- 10 Interesting Facts About Aluminum That You Might Not Know - August 24, 2022
- 10 Fun Facts About Smiling That Will Make You Smile - August 14, 2022